Fish Point Wildlife Association

  Fish Point Wildlife Association  
  Wildlife Refuge and Managed Hunting Area
Northwest Tuscola County, Michigan
  facebook

News Blog

For all those who are not aware, our President, Kevin Hollingshead, took the initiative to apply for a grant for the first time in FPWA history for $150,000 to update the Gaede Marsh area. The grant will allow us to replace the water pumps, new gates, tiling, update parking lots, and invasive species management amongst many other things. We are EXTREMELY happy to announce that the grant has been officially approved!!!!!! The proposal also calls for FPWA to contribute $10,000 for the updates for the next two years. Your donations and the donations from our contributors are what fund these projects and our annual banquet. These next two years donations will be critical for us in order to have the necessary funds to provide to the updates. We here at FPWA are extrmemely excited for this opportunity to update the marsh area, and so should our members, as it will translate into more hunting locations and a more manageable waterfowl habitat.

 

We are always looking for new members and current members who are interested in becoming board members. If interested please contact Kevin Hollingshead at abaduck49@yahoo.com for more details.

 
The Fish Point Wildlife Area lies in northwest Tuscola County in east central Lower Michigan, adjacent to Saginaw Bay. The Wildlife area extends along Saginaw Bay's east shoreline between Quanicassee and Sebewaing. The area headquarters is located on Ringle Rd., 6 miles north and west of the village of Unionville, Michigan 48767. Prior to 1950 all of the present wildlife area was in private ownership. State acquisition began in 1950. By 1959 about 2,000 acres had been acquired and were administered by the Michigan Conservation Department. The acquisitions were made to protect a significant amount of natural shoreline habitat. This was to enhance waterfowl production, improve resting and feeding areas for migratory waterfowl, and insure waterfowl hunting opportunities. The area was poorly drained, so diking, ditching and pumping were early requirements for waterfowl food production. The waterfowl foods most commonly planted were corn, buckwheat, and winter wheat. The first pump was installed in 1954 and by 1959, four pumping stations were controlling water on eleven fields. Approximately one-half of the total acreage was dedicated as an inviolate refuge in 1958.

The Saginaw Bay Region, including the Fish Point area, has traditionally been used intensively by waterfowl hunters. As management efforts resulted in more waterfowl using the Wildlife area, hunter numbers steadily increased. When overcrowding became a problem, the managed hunting concept was implemented in 1971. Today the area totals 3,631 acres and public use of the area consists of hunting, trapping, bird watching, and fishing.

The mission of the DNR Wildlife Division is to enhance, restore and conserve the State's wildlife resources, natural communities, and ecosystems for the benefit of Michigan's citizens, visitors, and future generations.

The Fish Point Wildlife Association was formed in 2001 to help the DNR wildlife division meet these goals.